‘0-1 favourites’ Ulsan beat Suwon ‘0-1→3-1’ in thrilling upset… Park Joo-ho retires from active duty

Ulsan Hyundai completed a thrilling comeback after winning the title with a better performance.

Ulsan conceded a goal in the 16th minute to Yoon Beom-garam in the 17th round of the ‘Hana One Q K League 1 2023’ at Suwon Sports Complex on the 6th, but came from behind to win 3-1 with goals from Martin Adam in the 24th minute, In-Joo Kyu in the 43rd minute and Bako in stoppage time.

A crowd of 8733 gathered at the Suwon Sports Complex for the retirement ceremony of former South Korean national team defender Park Joo-ho.스포츠토토

However, Suwon were unable to pick up a win in Park’s farewell match, leaving them with 18 points (5W3D9L) and ninth place in the league.

On the other hand, league leaders Ulsan quickly shook off their 0-2 loss to Jeonbuk Hyundai in the 16th round of the league on 3 March to consolidate their top spot with 41 points (13W, 2D).

Suwon lined up in a 4-3-3. Park Bae-jong donned the goalkeeping gloves, while Jung Dong-ho, Jackson, Kim Hyun-hoon, and Lee Yong-soo formed the defence. Park Joo-ho, Yoon Beom-garam, and Kim Sun-min were the midfielders, while Park Chul-woo, Lee Dae-gwang, and Jang Jae-yong were the front three.

Ulsan lined up in a 4-2-3-1. Cho Hyun-woo was in goal, while Lee Myung-jae, Jung Seung-hyun, Kim Ki-hee, and Seol Young-woo formed the back four. Lee Kyu-sung and Kim Min-hyuk defended the third line, while Yoon Il-rok, Hwang Jae-hwan, and Uhm Won-sang played in the second line. Up front, Martin Adam was in goal for Suwon.

With a large crowd at the stadium due to the national holiday for Remembrance Day and Park Joo-ho’s retirement ceremony, Suwon got off to a good start, taking the lead in the 16th minute.

Lee’s right-footed cross from the right flank was blocked by an Ulsan defender, but the second ball was played straight to Yoon Beom-garam.

He rushed into the penalty box and wasted no time in unleashing a right-footed inside shot that rattled the Ulsan net.

With his goal against Ulsan, Yoon scored for the second consecutive game following the ‘Suwon Derby’ against Suwon Samseong, which he won 2-1 in the 16th round of the league on the 3rd.

After conceding the opening goal, Ulsan fought back immediately. In the 25th minute, Lee Myung-jae sent a free kick into the box that Martin Adam rose high to head home, but goalkeeper Park Bae-jong made the save.

A minute later, Uhm Won-sang broke into the box and attempted a chip shot that went just over the keeper’s height but hit the post. The ball bounced off the post and substitute Ataru slotted it into the back of the net, but before he could do so, Uhm Won-sang was ruled offside.

In the 31st minute, after the ball went out to the touchline, Hong Myung-bo was warned by the referee for strongly protesting the decision.

The first 45 minutes ended as they had begun, with Suwon taking a 1-0 lead into halftime thanks to Yoon Beom-garam, who scored his second goal in as many games.

Ulsan equalised just two minutes into the second half but were denied by another offside call. Seol Young-woo’s low cross was headed straight into the Suwon goal by Uhm Won-sang, but he was ahead of the Suwon defence.

Ulsan, who were twice denied for offside, were denied this time by Suwon goalkeeper Park Bae-jong. In the 15th minute, Ataru found himself one-on-one with the keeper after receiving a fantastic penetrating pass from Lee Kyu-sung.

Park calmly stepped forward to narrow the angle of Ataru’s shot. Ataru’s shot was blocked by Park Bae-jong and the equaliser was not to be.

Ulsan, who had been pounding the Suwon goal relentlessly, finally rattled the net in the 24th minute. Ataru broke through in the box and found himself one-on-one with the keeper once again.

This time, Ataru opted to pass rather than shoot. Martin Adam, who was next to Ataru, had no trouble slotting the ball into the empty net to equalise.

Ulsan’s momentum didn’t stop there. In the 42nd minute, from an Ulsan corner, substitute Lee In-gyu won a tussle with Yoon Beom-garam and slotted the second ball into the back of the net.

With the goal against Suwon, Lee In-jong-kyu scored his ninth goal of the league, overtaking Na Sang-ho (FC Seoul), who has eight, to become the league’s top scorer.

In second-half stoppage time, Park Joo-ho, who started the game, was substituted and left the field. The crowd applauded Park generously as he made a fresh start.

Meanwhile, Ulsan, buoyed by the momentum, drove a wedge into the game in the second half when Bako scored his third goal of the season, making the score 3-1, after receiving a pass from Martin Adam, who had scored the first goal of the match.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *